The Real Neuroscience of Creativity

Thread posts

See all posts in this thread below.

• User
    • Published: 04-16-2014 03:15 pm
    • http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/beautiful-minds/2013/08/19/the-real-neuroscience-of-creativity/

"The latest findings from the real neuroscience of creativity suggest that the right brain/left brain distinction is not the right one when it comes to understanding how creativity is implemented in the brain.* Creativity does not involve a single brain region or single side of the brain.

Instead, the entire creative process– from preparation to incubation to illumination to verification– consists of many interacting cognitive processes and emotions. Depending on the stage of the creative process, and what you’re actually attempting to create, different brain regions are recruited to handle the task.

Importantly, many of these brain regions work as a team to get the job done, and many recruit structures from both the left and right side of the brain. In recent years, evidence has accumulated suggesting that “cognition results from the dynamic interactions of distributed brain areas operating in large-scale networks.”

Depending on the task, different brain networks will be recruited."
    • ErikThor, mind_faerie likes this post.
    • Published: 04-17-2014 03:19 am
    • Great article. I agree with the findings and I don't see creativity to be related in particular to any particular cognitive type, rather I think that ENTJs, INTPs, INFJs and ENFPs are the most proficient daydreamers (Actually, I think INTPs win the race as the most creative), closely followed by the ENTP, INTJ, INFP, and ENFJ (who are better at following through with an idea and organizing new ideas)
    • Christian likes this post.
    • Published: 04-17-2014 03:37 am
    • Yes I agree.

I think first we need define creative, I would say it is creating something that is outside of what has been created before.

So I would say it belongs to types with high consolidated memory-systems, so all Abstract types in Neojungian Typology.

AD* (INTP/ENTP/INTJ/ENTJ) would probably be most creative within systems based on logic and semantic knowledge.
      AO* (INFP/ENFP/INFJ/ENFJ) would probably be most creative within social-domains (emotional-based, social-based, culture-based).

Then other attributes come into play, how much have the person experienced things in systems and social-domains. I predict the more you have experienced within systems or social-domains, the more you will be able to create in this domain. If IQ is seen a measure of performance in analytic thinking then IQ is a measure on performance in the Deterministic Contexualization. If EQ is seen as a measure of performance in social thinking then EQ is a measure on performance in the Organic Contexualization.

IQ and EQ most likely play an important role in creativity as well.
    • ErikThor likes this post.
    • Published: 04-18-2014 08:13 pm
      Updated: 04-18-2014 08:13 pm
    • Hmmm...

I wonder why you think INTP's are so creative. I personally don't see any reason to say they are more creative than other types. Do you have any evidence, Anarkandi? And why do you associate the groups as you do? They seem sort of random to me, but maybe I'm missing something. I think Cejo's groupings (xNTx/xNFx) and the groupings of (INxx/ENxx) and (xNxJ/xNxP) make for more sensible and consistent mathematical rules.

Surely INTP's can be creative. But I think any type can be if you look close enough. I think that's compatible with what you're saying Cejo. Thanks for the thread! I liked the article a LOT, and think it's interesting to include IQ and EQ.
    • Published: 04-20-2014 04:18 am
      Updated: 04-20-2014 04:25 am
    • Mind_fairie: I agree that there is something to his grouping, the differences emotionally for intuitives and sensors are consistent, when it comes to values.

When I say creative, I mean someone able to do abstract thinking about things that have not happened yet, about things that could happen, as posited in the article, and Christians definition of creativity: Creating something outside what has been created before.

I have a fairly big amount of collages with people of different types, and the only thing I can do is speculate on these groups of interactions. I got the base idea after I spent some time with a green grassroot movement. I noticed that the group consistently carried ENTJs (Alva Snis Sigtryggsson, Anders there is a friend of mine and an INTJ btw) as the leader) and INTPs, as well as INFJs (Brian Palmer) and ENFPs, above all other types, and how they seemed to carry an ideological relationship. So far I'm speculating that ideological groups are most common when the group puts little emphasis on personal skills and work, and when the primary motivator is doing something which is important to you. The work styles and personalities of the four are vastly different, but there is a strong tendency in the group towards the Openness trait in the Big5, towards speculation, daydreaming, creativity, and original behavior. In fact, most people within the group seem to cheer it on. My biggest base of collages lie with the green party though, and they mostly contain INFP, ENFJ, ENTP and INTJ, from what I've noticed. Atleast, I see ideological/emotional patterns in this, but I couldn't evidence it. My entire base of collages could be wrong and the patterns could ofcourse be purely coincidentical. But I'm going to keep testing this theory, because in my personal life, I've noticed INTPs, ENTJs, ENFPs and INFJs seeming to carry seemingly consistent values and ways of looking at things, whereas with INTJs, ENFJs, INFPs, and ENTPs, it's somewhat similar, but you need some more self-compromise to work together and to allow the other to do their thing. The biggest difference is that INTJs, ENFJs, INFPs and ENTPs seem more invested in making compromises, in ensuring a fair game and fair rules, in pragmatism, in making sure a vision is possible to implement, and in implemention overall.
    • mind_faerie likes this post.
    • Published: 04-21-2014 05:38 am
    • When looking at specific individuals, it's hard to know if the trait you observe are a feature only for them or a feature shared with all people of that type. It's also hard to know if you type them correctly.

I think I maybe need to include the visuo-spatial activity somehow in the Neojungian Typology. In the current revision it is not something that is taken into consideration. Intuition is primarily explained by the memory consolidation. But the ability to "simulate" different scenarios internally to be able to know what works is also something that can be used to improve intuition even more. If you have a high consolidated memory and also a high performance in visuo-spatial simulation then Intuition will probably be even higher.
    • mind_faerie likes this post.
  • User