Quartz - Bill Nye, the science guy, says I convinced him that philosophy is not just a load of self-indulgent crap

Thread posts

See all posts in this thread below.

• User
    • Published: 04-20-2017 12:13 am
    • Well, I think most people with a knowledge in science and philosophy saw this coming . Bill Nye found out that he likes the epistemological theme of "justified true belief" after studying some philosophy. Justified true belief is the backbone of knowledge-creation and can be interpreted in different schemes like positivist, postpositivist and antipositivist, I think Nye will prefer the positivist epistemology if he stumbles over it. Originally, the ancient greeks considered knowledge to be real, that means that it corresponded to ultimate reality, but in modern times epistemology has more of a constructivist thing over it, just fulfilling the justifications required for true belief, which can be completely formal.

"Bill Nye, the science guy, is now a budding philosopher.
      It’s a big turnaround for Nye, who last year dismissed philosophy as useless and misguided. That prompted a strong backlash, including a piece that I wrote: “Why are so many smart people such idiots about philosophy?”"

https://qz.com/960303/bill-nye-on-philosophy-the-science-guy-says-he-has-changed-his-mind/
  • User