Brain Chemicals and Neojungian Typology

Thread posts

See all posts in this thread below.

• User
    • Published: 07-20-2014 05:34 am
      Updated: 07-20-2014 05:47 am
    • The four key chemicals I find most related to Neojungian Typology are Endorphines, Serotonin, Dopamine and Oxytocin, and those four chemicals are of primary importance when understanding sociotypes. To relate well to your sociotype, you should display strong execution. (Power/control driven self-expression). People who display strong processing will primarily display more emotionally driven behavior, and less instinctual. For example an AOP with strong processing will generally be highly motivated by curiosity, rather than endorphines, but one with strong execution will relate more to being endorphine driven, controlled and able to handle anything, at the expense of less curiosity, and an AOE with unusually well pronounced processing will generally relate little to being dopamine-driven. I'm also entertaining the possibility that processing types still deal with the chemicals, but at a different rate, and in a different way.

Explorers (AOE-CDP) should primarily be driven by dopamine
      Negotiators (ADP-COE) should primarily be driven by oxytocin
      Directors (ADE-COP) by Serotonin
      and Builders (AOP-CDE) by Endorphines

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/your-neurochemical-self/201105/the-brain-needs-downs-have-ups

Four neurochemicals cause happiness: endorphins, dopamine, oxytocin and serotonin. Each evolved to do a different job. When you know what the job is, you know why your happy chemicals can't be on all the time.

Endorphins evolved to mask pain. If you're escaping a predator, neurochemical euphoria promotes survival by mask pain until you're in a safe place. But the rest of the time, masking pain does not promote survival. You would run on a broken leg and touch hot stoves if your endorphins flowed all the time. You would not be better off because pain holds survival information. You did not evolve to be on an endorphin high all the time.

Dopamine sparks you when you're near an important reward. If you were climbing a tree for a juicy piece of fruit, dopamine triggers the boost that gets you up the last few branches. If your dopamine flowed all the time, you would invest energy in everything, rewarding or not. Your reserve tank of energy is available for things that matter because your dopamine only turns on for things that are important. You did not evolve to be on a dopamine high at every moment.

Oxytocin stimulates the feeling we humans experience as trust. If it flowed all the time, you'd trust people you shouldn't oughta trust.Orgasm and giving birth trigger oxytocin, as does a massage. All mammals release oxytocin when they're born, triggering attachmentto their mother. More is stimulated when a mother mammal licks or holds her child. Mammals transfer their attachment from a mother to a herd or pack or troop, and these social alliances also trigger oxytocin. The bigger a mammal's brain, the pickier they are about which social alliances to trust. You would not be better off if your oxtyocin surged all the time.

Serotonin flows in an amoeba when it can safely to feed. Humans have more serotonin in the stomach than the brain because our ancestors fed when it was safe. Mammals often have their food stolen by more dominant mammals. It's safe to eat when you can dominate, and that's when serotonin rises. Feeling on top boosts serotonin, as challenging as the idea is to modern sensibilities. If your serotonin were high all the time, you'd constantly one-up others and make yourself a big pain in the neck
    • Published: 07-20-2014 06:00 am
    • So, to add: Endorphines to me, appear to be a big part of an AOP or CDE-types every day behavior, pain seems to be a strong element of it, what we learnt to read as Fi, physical pain is exactly the same as inner pain. It's experienced the same way in the brain. AOPs talk alot about pain and how they've learnt to deal with it, especially the high executing ones, and there's moments where AOPs mention total detachment from pain and emotion. High levels of endorphines translates into cultural capital, the glue that holds us together, that keeps our environment healthy, that allows us to survive in bad environments, but also to take care of our environments even when feeling tired and drained. Endorphines are a personally motivating hormone, and as a result, no matter if the levels are low or high, it does not need to be shared. (Due to *DE)

AOEs and CDPs tend to talk more about apathy, and learning to motivate themselves through regulating dopamine. High dopamine translates into being strongly motivative, able to get people to see things through the same perspective, being able to motivate others. Dopamine allows us to change the perspective and turn any bad situation to look positive, being able to say "Well, that's just a test from god." or "Well, look on the bright side." But low dopamine also equally makes us whiney and negative, making negative AOE and CDPs to spread more apathy, bitterness, and negativity around. Dopamine is the secondary most social hormone, it requires being spread and shared, in a way similar to oxytocin. (Due to *OE)

Serotonin gives us not just the ability to dominate socially, but also to handle situations where we aren't the ones that dominate, and a recurrent theme displayed in ADEs and CDPs tend to be stories about how they've been dominated by others, how others have won in games, and things like that, but also learning to be okay in those moments. Serotonin translates into judicial capital, feeling capable, competent, abled. It's not just about being able to eat, but being able to act, self-express, and move, and knowing when not able to. High serotonin can also cause us to overassess our ability. Serotonin is a personal hormone, it does not require to be spread, it's a personal motivator. (Due to *DE)

Oxytocin is the social hormone number one, and ADPs and especially COEs have ALOT of it. It regulates trust, cooperative behavior, allows for diplomacy, but also building trust within the group by participating in attacking another group. Oxytocin translates into displaying high self-esteem, feeling you are a good person worthy of love, that is, social capital. (Due to *OE)
    • Published: 07-20-2014 09:36 am
    • This is great ideas. I agree with your opinion of how the chemicals could relate to the sociotypes and the cognitive types. Thanks for the link, will check it out.

Will respond later when I have reflected more on this topic.
    • Published: 07-23-2014 02:36 pm
      Updated: 07-23-2014 02:39 pm
    • There's two possibilities: either high execution makes us more likely to increase production of said chemicals, or deterministic encoding is the primary reason we produce mentioned chemicals. What do you think about this?

DE produces endorphines for AOP-CDEs, and serotonin for ADE-COPs.

DP produces dopamine for AOE-CDPs, and oxytocin for ADP-COEs.

OR

DE produces endorphines for AOP-CDEs and serotonin for ADE-COPs

OE produces dopamine for AOE-CDPs, and oxytocin for ADP-COEs.
    • Published: 07-23-2014 03:15 pm
    • I think serotonine and dopamine are related to Processing.

Like either there is anticipation for reward (dopamine) or experience how something was accomplished successfully (serotonine).

Endorphines and oxytocin are related to Execution.

Like when goin into goal-directed state and supressing distractions (endorphines) and having trust in the method of execution (oxytocin).

That's my thoughts at the moment, need to dive deeper into this subject soon.
    • ErikThor likes this post.
    • Published: 07-24-2014 06:51 am
    • It seems goal-directed attention / top-down is related to anticipation.
      So Execution could in reality be about dopamine..

"When attention deployment is driven by salient stimuli, it is considered to be bottom-up, memory-free, and reactive. Attention can also be guided by top-down, memory-dependent, or anticipatory mechanisms, such as when looking ahead of moving objects or sideways before crossing streets. Humans and other animals have difficulty paying attention to more than one item simultaneously, so they are faced with the challenge of continuously integrating and prioritizing different bottom-up and top-down influences."

From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salience_%28neuroscience%29

"The core of visual salience is a bottom-up, stimulus-driven signal that announces “this location is sufficiently different from its surroundings to be worthy of your attention”. This bottom-up deployment of attention towards salient locations can be strongly modulated or even sometimes overridden by top-down, user-driven factors (Desimone & Duncan, 1995; Itti & Koch, 2001). Thus, a lone red object in a green field will be salient and will attract attention in a bottom-up manner (see illustration below). In addition, if you are looking through a child’s toy bin for a red plastic dragon, amidst plastic objects of many vivid colors, no one color may be especially salient until your top-down desire to find the red object renders all red objects, whether dragons or not, more salient."

From: http://www.scholarpedia.org/article/Visual_salience
    • Published: 07-25-2014 03:03 am
    • Dopamine:
      * Is used both for regulation of task-positive and task-negative state
      * Entering Execution (top-down / goal-directed attention)
      * Anticipation for reward when following goal

So I think Executors will be driven by high dopamine and Processors by low dopamine.

• Published: 07-28-2014 05:41 am
      Updated: 07-28-2014 07:17 am

• So, I wouldn't map the brain chemicals to any of the particular functions, my assessment in the previous post was that the different functions have a different role, but that they all contribute to the production and experience of the chemicals.

AOE does not contribute to the production or experience of dopamine, but it sets up the system or goals that can later be experienced as dopamine rewards through CDP.

AE has a low-saliency, executive purpose to dopamine, it sets up a dream or expectation, and OE is a high saliency, way of pushing for and signalling to the world what reward we are looking for, what goals we are driven by. High AOE without CDP will starve the system of dopamine, causing overall grumpyness, dissatisfaction, understimulation, apathy. Apathy and symptoms of dopamine starvation are very prevalent amongst my collages of low and high saliency, but AOE's can also run much longer without reward than most types can.

DP plays a low saliency, "I need to make sure the goal isn't dangerous or that I won't be hurt, I need to plan my course" function to dopamine, why I tend to relate it to fear-responses: but it plays a role in dopamine production in itself, not as pronounced and high saliency as CP, but still to an extent where you can experience personal, inner satisfaction for doing something right. With AE and DP there is a tendency for AOE-CDPs to experience medium levels of oxytocin rushes, aswell as dopamine.

CP experiences dopamine as a high-saliency rush, causing extroverted responses, dancing, outer displays of satisfaction and joy. CDPs tend to seek immidiate rewards, where AOE's can survive longer without immidiate reward.

Dopamine seems highly involved in learning new feats, being in new environments, experiencing new rushes, in experimentation and more.
    • Published: 07-28-2014 08:56 am
    • Just some more quick thoughts here:

* Executors are primarily driven by high dopamine, which is about anticipation of following a goal.
      * Processors are primarily driven by serotonine, which is about conquering risks and making it safe.

Schizophrenics have highest dopamine where they think their idea will conquer the world. Grandiosity is related to dopamine and Execution.
    • Published: 07-29-2014 05:10 am

• Serotonin is a neurotransmitter and is found in all bilateral animals, where it mediates gut movements and the animal's perceptions of resource availability .[citation needed] In less complex animals, such asinvertebrates, resources simply mean food availability. In more complex animals, such as arthropods and vertebrates, resources also can mean social dominance. In response to the perceived abundance or scarcity of resources, an animal's growth, reproduction or mood may be elevated or lowered. This may somewhat depend on how much serotonin the organism has at its disposal.[11]

Stuff I read on wikipedia.
    • Christian likes this post.
  • User