Changing defintion of IE factor

Thread posts

See all posts in this thread below.

• User
    • Published: 01-02-2016 05:51 am
      Updated: 01-03-2016 02:24 am
    • It seems that our semantics for Extraversion vs Introversion overlaps Judging vs Perceiving quite a bit. The statistics from my test reveals a 67% correlation between I and J and E and P.
      I think this is because the semantics often used about these dichotomies are highly similar. People are most often Introverted + Judger or Extroverted + Perceiving in the Jungian community, I think that is because those two "traits" go together.

A person acting "in the moment" / impulsively / lively will most likely be a person also interested in new opportunities / change of plans / new alternatives. A person acting according reflectively / cautiously will most likely be a person more interested in persistence goal-directed work, following through plans.

So I think we should use a new definition of the IE dichotomy to create a more orthogonal semantic resulting in more orthogonal factors and traits.

So my suggestion is to directly link the semantics of the IE dichotomy with the empirical evidence linking individual differences in detachment vs attachment to differences in dopamine d2 receptor density.

There is one questionnaire that successfully creates a association with the personality construct of 'detachment' and density of dopamine d2 receptors and that is the Karolinska Scales of Personality.

So the correlation of density is the reverse from my predictions, having high density is linked to having more attachment and having less density is linked to having more detachment.

Suggested new definition of I:

• I like to keep a distance towards people
      • I enjoy having big personal integrity

Suggested new definition of E:

• I like being open about myself to others
      • I enjoy having close connections with people
      • I like sharing personal things with others

http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/doi/10.1176/ajp.155.10.1440

"These findings replicate those of a recent report that personal detachment scores on the Karolinska Scales of Personality are related to dopamine D2 receptor density and extends this finding by suggesting that the relationship is relatively specific to the trait defined by the Karolinska Scales of Personality and does not generalize to other forms of detachment. "

http://www.biologicalpsychiatryjournal.com/article/S0006-3223%2802%2901732-8/abstract

"There was an association (p = .001) between the DRD2 –141C ins/del variant and Karolinska Scales of Personality Detachment scale, indicating higher scores in subjects with the –141C del variant. There were also associations between the DRD2 –141C ins/del variant and a number of Karolinska Scales of Personality and Swedish Universities Scales of Personality Neuroticism-related scales, but of these only Swedish Universities Scales of Personality Lack of Assertiveness scale (p = .001) survived correction for multiple testing."
  • User